23 August 2015

SHUTTLE/2008

I noticed something interesting about the 2008 film Shuttle by writer/director Edward Anderson while doing some research on the film at IMDB.  It is the only film written and directed (there is one other writing credit)  by Edward Anderson. I do not know what that portends, if anything, but the movie was not a bad little crime thriller and over all well directed. It is rife with thriller clichés and you will be left smacking yourself on the head frequently doing an “oh come on!” But for the most part the movie holds its own if you do not get too picky. These types of movies must have clichés and standardized gimmicks. It is jus what will the cast and crew do with them that makes or breaks the story. But regardless, some of the implausibilities may get a bit annoying for jaded horror/suspense filmies as a group of four teenagers take a shuttle bus home from the airport and are soon the victims of an abduction by the shuttle driver. There is an actual little surprise in the film that I did not see coming. If you are one of those people who enjoy that sort of thing you may like it too.  I will not even allude to it here as it is well documented fact that the readers of The Uranium Café are higher in IQ than then average mortal and they will no doubt figure out what the formula twist is. The film is by no means a gore fest but there are some scenes of intense and unexpected violence. The lead actresses (especially perky Peyton List) handle the horror girl roles well enough and the role of  bad guy bus driver is creepy and menacing in the hands of Tony Curran. The film is shot in some sort of washed out lomo type technique that I like sometimes and sometimes do not. Wasn’t too crazy about it here but it did not bother me too much over all. Didn’t like the ending but I usually never do. I do not want to comment too much on it and give it away. Its just that I am old school and I like the good guy or gal to win. I feel good should triumph over evil in the movies since it usually does not in the real world. And I do not want to see the real world in movies. But I am used to it by now. This generation of nihilistic filmmakers really does not faze me anymore. I was a nihilist before it was cool to be. 




No comments: