01 July 2012

THRILL KILL/NEAL ADAMS



The graphic sniper story Thrill Kill appeared in the Nov. 1975 issue of Creepy magazine. It was written by Jim Stenstrum and drawn by Neal Adams. Adams’ real to life drawing style brings the story to life in a sometimes disturbing fashion. Few artists of the time could let a story unfold the way Adams did and this is a fine example of the artist in his stride. There are a lot of scans of this one on line and there was one with better example of the wash work and one only in crisp black and white. I selected the version I have here though it might not be the best example of Adams’ use of wash and tones, but the other version I found showed the yellowness of the aged pages. Not that that bothers me and it was tough call as to which scans to share here. Some of the images remind me of the sniper Scorpio (played by Andy Robinson) in the first –and really only good- Dirty Harry film. The following year would see the release of an all but forgotten sniper film called two Minute Warning, starring Charlton Heston and John Cassavetes. I have a copy of that somewhere and maybe should give it a review here one day soon. Seems snipers were suddenly en vogue after a long silence following the 1966 killing spree in Austin Tx by Charles Whitman. That infamous incident also inspired a docudrama flick called The Deadly Tower starring a young Kurt Russell -starring as killer Whitman- trying to do something to distance himself from his earlier TV and Disney roles. That film came out in '75, the same year as Thrill Kill. I have that here too and maybe will do a review of that too, along with the 1968 Peter Bogdanovich film Targets, and sort make this month Sniper Month here at The Uranium Café. So whilst I polish up the ol’ deer rifle here enjoy this little master piece from one of the great comic book artists of all time, Neal Adams.


2 comments:

Dr. Theda said...

I have a copy of this comic.... I thought that I Had already Joined your site...Sorry for the over-sight.... your "fiend' and follower ...the Doctor

The Sanity Inspector said...

I saw some panels from this in an advertisement back in the 70s, & finally managed to google up the whole thing. Thanks for posting!