12 April 2013

RAFAEL GALLUR/COMIC BOOK MAGAZINE COVERS



(NOTE: There is a bit of essentially "orphaned" blogging here as some of the post refers back to a post about another Mexican illustrator, Oscar Bazaldua, that was removed as some of the images were a bit too much for the site after reflection. This post was written after that and so there will be references to to a non-existent post. That post will be edited and placed back up here shortly.) Like Oscar Bazaldua whose work was featured here a while back Rafael Gallur is know mostly for his work in the area of Mexican Ghetto Librettos, or Sensacionales, comics. The emphasis in these comics is on sex and violence and the drawing are typically over the top and graphic. Unlike Bazaldua however Gallur demonstrates a degree of restraint in his drawings in the areas of explicit violence and sexual posings of the subjects. The drawings are still pretty erotic but not as unnervingly so as in the works of Bazaldua and other pulp style Mexican illustrators. The drawings here are simply a bit more heroic in context than the drawings I presented before.

There is still the politically incorrect -as if there were a bad thing- chauvinistic atmosphere that may offend some people with larger than life macho cowboys and luchadores/wrestlers looming over scantily clad females who are often presented in some compromising position or another. The women themselves appear tough and dangerous but they are still frail compared to the male characters who all seem fairly lethal. Almost all of the drawings here are western themes and are finely detailed and rendered. I am not sure if he is working alone here or with somebody else helping with coloring chores and if anybody has more info I will pass that on in a future post. The drawings seem to show more of an influence from American pinup and magazine cover art than some of the other Ghetto Librettos drawings I have seen but the liberal use of vivid primary colors and lurid subject matter is something that you just don’t see that much of north of the border. I have not seen the inside of one of these magazines and if anybody has scans of the interior work I would love to see them. I used to live in San Antonio Texas but to be honest I never saw anything like this there, and now I am in China and it is simply impossible to find western comic books of any sort here. Hell, Spiderman is considered subversive enough here.




1 comment:

Francisco Gonzalez said...

Wow, that's awesome, I love the way he draws women! Always showing just enough, never too much! Very cool style!

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I like to respond to all comments and if I do not get to yours it was an over site on my part and I apologize. Feel free to add information to any post or correct goofs on my part. I am not an expert on any of this, just a fan.